Call for Participation: Dialogue on Sexuality and Role of the Media
Heartland Alliance is collaborating with Projekthope to host a dialogue on Sexuality and Role of the Media under its: Engaging the Media in Human Rights Series.
Dialogue is open for participation to interested professional journalists and editors, noted bloggers and other media stakeholders.
If you are a media stakeholder, interested in research or dispassionate reporting on core human rights subjects in the context of adherence to ethics of journalism, or inspired by the contribution of the media in the promotion of fair trials and increasing access to justice to victims of human rights violations with impunity, then this dialogue is for you.
The 2-day dialogue shall reflect on the following broad topics;
- Human sexuality;
- International and regional systems of protection of human rights: the UN system and the African system. The Nigerian standards of protection of human rights;
- Ethics of journalism and media reporting: principles of journalism, purpose of journalism and “media bias”
- Sexuality and gender in different cultural contexts
- How to be sensitive to human rights when reporting on sexuality and gender issues.
By the end of the dialogue, participating media stakeholders are expected to acquire improved skills and fresh perspectives on international standard of reporting on human rights and sexuality in line with the ethics of journalism.
Participants will also have privileged access to tools and resource information which could come handy in researching and producing human rights reports at close of dialogue.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Attached application form (download here). Kindly complete the form and include it in your application)
- An expression of interest not more than two pages, stating why you will like to participate at the dialogue and your expectations (see the application form).
- Submit a scanned or electronic sample of your most recent publication in the context of human rights (see the application form).
Interested candidates should submit complete documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission is September 30, 2016. [Please be informed that incomplete application will not be approved]Have something to share? Ready to tell your story? Contact us.